Inspired by queso fundido—melted Mexican cheese dip—this corn and warm Cheddar cheese dip is great with toasted baguette.
- Makes: 12 servings
Serving Size: 1/4 cup
- Active Time: 15 minutes | Total Time: 35 minutes
- 3 cups corn kernels
- 8 ounces shredded sharp Cheddar cheese (2 cups)
- 8 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese (Neufchâtel), cut into small pieces
- ⅛ teaspoon cayenne or chili powder
- To remove corn kernels from the cob, stand an ear on its stem end and slice the kernels off with a sharp knife. To extract the corn “milk” (for sauces, soups or puddings), after cutting the kernels off, press the dull side of the knife down the length of the ear to push out the rest of the corn and its milk. You’ll get about 1 cup fresh kernels from one large ear of corn.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Coat a medium (10-inch) cast-iron skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium-high heat. Add corn; cook, stirring occasionally, until mostly golden brown, 5 to 7 minutes. (Corn kernels may “pop” as they brown.) Remove from heat; stir in Cheddar and cream cheese. Transfer to the oven.
- Bake until golden and bubbling, 18 to 20 minutes. Sprinkle the cheese dip with cayenne (or chili powder) and serve.
155 Calories, Total Fat: 11 g, Saturated Fat: 7 g, Cholesterol: 34 mg, Carbohydrates: 8 g, Fiber: 1 g, Added Sugars: 0 g, Protein: 8 g, Sodium: 186 mg, Potassium: 146 mg, Folate: 21 mcg, Calcium: 159 mg
Carbohydrate Servings: 1/2